Kitchen Garbage Can: 5 Tips For Choosing The Right One
Among kitchen accessories, the trash can is not the most glamorous item, but it is definitely one of the most practical! It is important to think carefully when buying one so that you can sort and dispose of your waste without worry. Here are 5 tips on how to choose the right kitchen garbage can.
1- Think before you buy
Despite appearances, the kitchen bin is not a trivial accessory in this room of the house. It is a more or less expensive purchase depending on the model, but it deserves time to think.
Even if you have a crush on a design or automatic model, resist the impulse buy! To avoid choosing the wrong model, it's best to take into account several criteria.
The capacity of the garbage can, its opening system and the possibility of selectively sorting waste into different bins are some of the criteria to consider in order to make the right choice of kitchen bin.
2- Adapt the capacity of the bin to your needs
For all those who wonder which kitchen trash can to choose, the question of capacity is one of the first to be asked. Indeed, there are kitchen trash cans on the market with capacities ranging from 6 liters to 60 liters.
Adapt the capacity of the bin to the size of your household and the amount of waste you produce each day.
In fact, you should opt for a model that can accommodate the amount of packaging and waste you throw away in a day. The capacity of the bin should not be too large if you want to take out the garbage regularly and avoid bad smells in your kitchen.
In practice, we recommend :
- a model with a capacity of 20 to 30 L for a single person or a couple
- a 30 to 40 L model for a family of 3 to 4 people
- a model with a capacity of 50 L for a family of 5 to 6 people.
3- Choose the right opening system
Another very important criterion when looking for a practical kitchen garbage can is the opening system.
There are in fact no less than 5 different opening systems :
- the simple opening (by hand) usually equips the entry-level and small capacity plastic models
- the pedal opening consists of pressing a pedal with your foot to activate the opening of the lid without having to touch the garbage can with your hands, which is of course more hygienic
- the push opening, which is used on some column garbage cans, allows you to open the lid with a simple push of the hand
- the automatic opening uses an infrared sensor installed on the front or on the lid of the garbage can. Thanks to the sensor, the bin opens automatically when you pass your hand over the lid without having to touch it.
To be noted: the models with automatic opening are more expensive to buy but are convenient to use, when cooking, since the trash can opens by itself. You just have to remember to change the batteries to keep the automatic opening working.
- opening linked to a cupboard door for garbage cans that can be fitted into kitchen furniture. In this case, the opening of the lid is usually linked to the opening of the cupboard door.
To note: the built-in trash cans, which are usually placed under the sink, are very practical and aesthetic since they are cleverly hidden, but also more expensive to purchase.
4- Think about the selective sorting of waste
While public authorities are increasingly encouraging citizens to sort and recycle their waste, the possibility of directly performing selective sorting in the bins of his kitchen bin is another criterion to consider.
It is now possible to find commercially available garbage cans composed of several bins, usually three in number.
These bins have different colors to help you sort out glass, cardboard and plastic packaging and non-recyclable waste.
They are also equipped with a handle so that they can be emptied more easily into outdoor containers.
5- Look for the best value for money
Taking the above criteria into account and depending on your needs and budget, look for the best value.
Keep in mind that metal models are generally more expensive but offer better long-term strength.
As far as maintenance goes, plastic models are just as easy to clean as metal ones. They are just a little less durable over time.
To conclude, note that some high-end models come with innovative features such as:
- the anti-odour closure
- soft closing without noise or risk of getting your fingers stuck
- a non-slip base for more stability on the kitchen floor
- a colored coating to best match this accessory with your kitchen furniture.